Re: Anton's amendment

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 18:20, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> "Wesley J. Landaker" <wjl@icecavern.net> writes:
> > I'm seriously asking, because I don't see it either permitting OR
> > limiting; it just says modifiablility. You read it assume it means that
> > no limits are allowed. Someone else reads it and assumes that it means
> > some limits are okay.
>
> How does that someone else determine *which* limits are ok?  After
> all, their position is that the GFDL permits some limits but not
> others.

They use common sense. If they are wrong in a specific instance, a bunch of
people will argue about it on debian-legal and the ftp-masters will either
let it in/kick it out or not.

You know, the way it works for EVERYTHING ELSE in Debian. =)

> And yet, nobody has presented their interpretation.  So far, only one
> interpretation has been given: the DFSG permits whatever modifications
> the user wishes.  (Or, alternatively, it permits whatever changes are
> deemed useful by the user, and the user is the judge of what is a
> useful change.)  If there is another interpretation, it's time to give
> it, rather than just saying vaguely that it must be there.

Okay, here is a possible interpretation:

The DFSG requires all reasonable modifications. "Reasonable" is always
determined in an case-by-base basis.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>