Re: DPL election IRC Debate - Call for questions

Ean Schuessler <ean@brainfood.com> wrote:

> Really, considering that Debian lost enough money to buy a multi-terabyte
> storage array do you honestly feel this is a "problem that will work itself
> out"? When a person cares enough about the project to sit down and write us a
> check I do not think we can fail to process those monies. A donation is the
> most serious contribution a non-technical user can make to our effort and
> that contribution deserves the highest respect.

This is "lost" as in "did not gain" rather as in "threw away", right? I
agree that this was unacceptable. If SPI show signs of similar levels of
ineptness in future, then the correct solution may well be to find
someone else to take charge of our finances. However, the current board
seems to have its act together to a far greater degree.

> The accounting solution at SPI is still tenuous. Illness, accident or simple
> boredom could still easily lead us to the situation we had before. The
> solution you've outlined could work but it increases complexity rather than
> removing it. I don't know what it takes to make this clear but
> non-professional, volunteer accounting help is not working for Debian. It has
> never worked well and it is just barely working now. Shifting responsibility
> to multiple organizations will only create more problems unless there is some
> measure of quality in place that these organizations must meet.

Linux Australia has a significantly better track record in financial
management than SPI has ever had - if the Australian dollar was worth a
little more, I'd consider suggesting we should hand all our cash over to
them...

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.vote@srcf.ucam.org