Re: Question for candidate Towns [Was, Re: DPL election IRC Debate - Call for questions]

also sprach Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> [2005.03.04.2118 +0100]:
> I think the "communication issues" are just a stand in for
> complaints of the underlying cause. If they weren't, I think the
> new.html page should be more of a solution

... not many people knew about it until recently. And there has not
been a flame war since it became widely public.

> The communication isn't perfect, but I don't think making it
> perfect would actually be a significant improvement.

It would be an improvement on psychological level to some of the
developers, which I think should not be underestimated.

> No, this is a policy problem. Communication is easy: hit "M" for
> manual reject, write a note, and it's all done. Or hit "P" for
> prod to write a note to the maintainer with the possibility of
> accepting the package anyway, or leaving it in the queue for later
> reconsideration. The issue for packages like mplayer and hot-babe
> is that it's not clear that they can be accepted, but it's also
> not clear that they should be rejected. And until one or the other
> becomes clear, they're left in the queue.

Would it be conceivable to have e.g. a page per package in NEW where
links and notes and comments can be collected, for everyone to be
able to see? Sort of like the bug tracking system?

`. `'`