Re: Questions for candidates: as spokesperson of Debian Project

Jonathan Walther <krooger@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 05:48:20PM +0900, Kenshi Muto wrote:
> >Questions:
> >* Do you think DPL has spokesperson's job?
>
> Absolutely! Every Debian Developer acts as a representative of Debian,
> but the DPL is first among equals, so to speak.  My skills at writing,
> public speaking, and listening to others are big asset in being a
> spokesperson.

Many people were upset when you had a domain registered using your
debian.org address which contained content that some felt was
questionable and did not want associated with Debian.  At the time, I
believe you felt that they massively misunderstood the nature of your
site and your intentions, but you did not at once agree to change the
domain registration, though you later did.

As Project Leader, the possibility for such misunderstandings becomes
all the more important, and all the more likely.  It is very important
that people hostile to the project not acquire ammunition by casting
aspersions at the Project Leader's other activities.  This means that
despite an individual's insistence that *this* is Debian, and *that*
is unrelated, people can and will link the two, especially if it gives
them ammunition against the Project.  There are hostile and malicious
people out there.

Do you believe that the Project Leader has an obligation to avoid
extremely controversial and potentially inflammatory outside
activities which might bring disrepute on the Project?  If so, would
you distance yourself more clearly from the content on your web site?

Thomas