Re: debian-women obscurity, was: Clarification about krooger's platform

Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> wrote:
> You can list all the mailing lists and fora you read, but the point is that
> unless you watch the entire world's open communications, you will miss
> announcements.  It's a fact of life.  The choices for senders are,
> basically, to either have a single "everything-announce" mailing list/IRC
> channel/Jabber thing/Web forum/RSS feed/<whatever other pet technology
> people like> and send every possible piece of information interesting to
> somebody there, or else ensure that every possible piece of information of
> interest to somebody gets sent to every open fora on earth.
>
> Neither of those is conducive to useful on-going communication.

Like those are the only two options, the two extremes. It
does seem like debian-women is not particularly better at
communication than most other parts of debian. Can't blame
people for not seeing cool stuff if it's stuck away in an
obscure backwater mostly unannounced.

One of the challenges facing the DPL is to find "happy medium"
levels of communication and methods to support that, I think.

> > No, it's that that community's enforcement methods and secrecy
> > should not allow it to be part of debian.
> Why not?  The critical factor for inclusion in Debian appears to be a very
> occasional contribution to the development of a Free operating system.
> A bit of non-public discussion and enforcement of community standards
> doesn't even come close to crossing that line. [...]

I am concerned that a debian-nazi list, encouraging development
of debian by nazis and use of debian for nazi activities,
would be seen as fine by the same sort of reasoning. I think
there is a difference between allowing others to contribute or
to take our work and use it however, without having to support
that use with project machines.