Re: Question for candidate Towns [Was, Re: DPL election IRC Debate - Call for questions]

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 11:28:16AM -0800, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> >And again to my purely technical question. Is it really necessary for
> >kernel-source-2.6.11 to go through NEW once it is uploaded for example ?
>
> It's not a technical issue it's a legal one -- our approach to

No, i don't think so. We only have not coped yet with the fact that we have a
set of names (kernel-source-2.6.11, kernel-source-2.6.10, kernel-source-2.6.9,
... and so on), which concern one and the same package.

Compare this to a kernel-source package, which would have version 2.6.9,
2.6.10, ... There really is no technical difference between a package with the
version embeded in the name where various version can be simultaneously in the
archive, and a package that has one name or various simultaneous versions.

That is was wildcard and regexps are for.

> satisfying the legal requirements for including crypto software in main

Arg, the main reason for this is the big-brother reporting of all our work to
the US authorities :(

> require us to manually process each package with a new name. Yes, it
> really is necessary.

Sure, move our archive out of the US, and be gone with the problem.

Friendly,

Sven Luther