Re: Question for candidate Towns

Kalle Kivimaa wrote:
resolves the complaints about NEW and hence I don't think that the NEW
issue is an example of a communication problem at all.
This is getting slightly too detailed discussion for a DPL, but
anyway: what do you think the NEW issue is an example of?

Not having enough time in the day.

The resolutions to that are:

 (a) reprioritising things
 (b) making more time available
 (c) making things take less time
 (d) training other people

I don't think (a)'s plausible in the case of NEW; there don't seem any obviously unimportant things that're being mistaken as being important and sucking up too much time. (b) is generally tricky, and is mostly a motivational issue, and thus generally not a short term one. (c) and (d) are both ideal, but also involve taking time out now for a gain in future (ie, scripting or rethinking things to work out how they can be done better, or finding and mentoring newbies to help with the tasks) -- and when the problem is a lack of time right now, they're hard to implement.

Most of ftpmaster are at the release cabal meeting Steve announced on -project yesterday; I expect the current ftpmaster issues'll be resolved before we're done on Monday anyway. I would have liked for them to have been resolved already, but I find it very hard to push for things like that when messages like Martin's to -project [0] are more or less left to stand.

Cheers,
aj

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2005/02/msg00116.html