Re: Question for A. Towns - NM

On Friday 04 March 2005 06:21 am, Anthony Towns wrote:
> I can think of a few ways to try to resolve this. The most important is
> killing "noise", by which I primarily mean off-topic threads, but also
> mails generally that don't add anything to the discussion because
> they're, eg, just rehashing old arguments, or outright spam, or similar.
> As DPL, I'd be aiming to have a delegate group (perhaps listmaster, or
> perhaps a moderator group, so listmaster can focus on technical issues)
> to start enforcing list policy by technical measures, such as bouncing
> posts on threads that have gone off-topic, or by suspending or banning
> posters who are frequently off-topic or offensive, to potentially having
> developers who're are unable to control themselves removed from the
> project entirely. I tend to think having a simple "post a non-private
> message to -private, and you'll be suspended from the lists for a week,
> and followups to the message will be bounced" would be both effective,
> and require very little enforcement after the first instance.

Perhaps we can source some code from the Chinese government. I believe they
have a similar method of maintaining "political order". Pray do chose your
"listmaster" committee carefully.

> I think the following messages should have resulted in the posters being
> sanctioned to some degree, eg:
>
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2005/02/msg00022.html
>    - campaigning is limited to a set three week period, campaigning
>      for or against potential candidates outside this time is off-topic

Your selections have already picked up some bias. Branden was able to unfairly
campaign in advance through his "100 supporters" technique but this has
escaped your notice. At least my "campaining" has the excuse of thousands of
misplaced Debian dollars driving it. Moreover, I'm not running for office and
receive no personal benefit if the issues I've raised are addressed.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
Brainfood, Inc.