Question for A. Towns - NM

A. Towns writes, in his platform:

 I think it's important that the project accept contributions from as
 large and diverse a group of technically skilled people as we can
 manage. I think the best way to achieve this is:

   1. To have our lists filled with interesting technical discussions,
   that welcome intelligent contributions from new-comers, and don't
   waste a lot of time going over old ground or off-topic subjects.
   2. To have newcomers be invited to act as assistants to existing
   groups; and for helpers be treated like individuals, rather than a
   new build that needs a standardised test suite run over it.

Can you elaborate?  What does this mean in practical terms?

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Apache, Linux, Tcl Consulting