Re: Clarification about krooger's platform

MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> Where are these articles posted? As a package sponsor, it could
> be a useful resource for me and my maintainers. I didn't find
> them anywhere obvious on http://www.debian.org/devel/join/

http://women.alioth.debian.org/wiki/index.php/English/PackagingTutorial
and related articles seem to be what you're looking for. It'd be nice to
see these integrated into the Debian site, but their existence is a good
start.

> I didn't find "the new mentoring programme" either. I remember being
> told some time ago that a mentor course would be announced,
> but now you mention it, I don't recall ever seeing it.

http://women.alioth.debian.org/mentoring/ seems to be what you're
looking for.

Given the relatively short period of time that debian-women has existed,
it's unsurprising that most of their work is still located on their own
site rather than integrated into the main suite of pages. It's hardly a
problem that's limited to debian-women - how many useful pieces of
documentation are scattered over mailing lists, people.debian.org and
random other parts of the web?

> Both their list and IRC judge you and if they consider you a
> "troll" then there is a secret silence against you (again
> endorsed in the last IRC meeting, it seems). You don't have
> to fight flamewars with your critics, but you should respond
> to them, even if only dismissively. Hell, the effort I've put
> in to trying to persuade debian-women should suggest I'm not
> just trolling. If anything, it's debian-women who are carrying
> out classic troll "asymmetric infowar" on the rest of debian
> with their "ignore those who don't agree" approach.

When people refuse to speak to me, I generally interpret that as meaning
that they don't want to speak to me. Saying nothing is preferable to
responding in a way that's likely to result in continued argument. We
have enough pointless arguments in Debian already, and could certainly
do without them in a forum that's intended to present a welcoming
atmosphere.

(snip)

Mark, you're entirely within your rights to disagree with the aims of
the debian-women project. However, it would be nice if you sounded a
little less openly dismissive of the entire thing. A group of people
have started working on something that they think needs changing. If you
don't like their goals or the way that they're going about them, then
try voicing those opinions in a somewhat more reasonable way.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.vote@srcf.ucam.org