Re: The role of the DPL in technical decisions

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 06:18:19PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> > As i understand the NEW handling is needed for :
> >
> >   a) make sure the licence is ok, and the package is otherwise distribuable,
> >   and maybe setup the US-big-brother survey of developer's work.
> >
> >   b) check if the new package upload doesn't split in too many subpackages or
> >   whatever and doesn't explode the archive:
>
> c) ensure that the packages are in the appropriate section.
>
> But making decisions about this really isn't the DPL's job. If you

Nope, but engaging a discussion about this or favouring it or whatever may
well be, in the same way that our preceding DPL brought advances to the NM/DAM
issue.

> disagree with how the ftp-masters handle it, then it ought to be
> discussed with them. If they're unwilling to have that discussion, then
> the DPL's involvement may be justifiable.

Alas, discussion with the ftp-masters is something that has been real poor,
the ftp-masters email address is a black hole, and the automated NEW email
response still promise action in a week or so, which is manifestly not the
case.

Friendly,

Sven Luther