Re: Trying to reach consensus - Yet Another Alternate Proposal to Declassification of debian-private

[ Removed d-devel, IMHO it's enough to discuss this on d-vote ]

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 11:19:55AM -0300, Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> Em Qui, 2005-12-08 às 00:08 +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin escreveu:
> > On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 02:47:07PM -0300, Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> > > The first type of publication could embrace the entire content of
> > > debian-private, but restrictions will be applied for those who want to
> > > read, basically, the need of identification of the reader and the
> > > agreement to a NDA on the same terms applied to every debian developer
> > > about the privacy of the mailing list.
> > One of the main goals of the original GR was to make the archives
> > available for research. How will you be able to publish the results
> > of such research if you agreed to an NDA. One of the main principles
> > of scientific research is to make your results reproducible by others.
> > This is impossible if you base your research on data which is only
> > available under an NDA.
>
> As a Social Scientist, I must say that it's completely normal to make
> researchs using confidential resources. This only tells you that you
> should respect the privacy, but still lets you understand better the
> object of your research.

I'm a Social Scientist as well :-) IMO it's completely normal to
anonymize your data (like the emails used in the research). But I think
it's highly problematic to not publish (or make it available to other
researchers how request it) your data. But as I understand the current
policy of d-private and your proposal anonymized publication of list
posts is not allowed (if the original author does not agree to it).

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.