Re: General Resolution: Declassification of debian-private list archives

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 16:35:02 +0200, Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.iki.fi> said:

> I like the proposed GR by Anthony Towns. I don't think it is against
> our constitution, and I don't see how it can be breaking any trust,
> since the authors and other affected people can prevent publication.

        It is not at all clear to me that if my post was fully quoted
 by another, then my wishes to have that quote redacted would be
 honored. I may request it to be, and this shall be "taken into
 consideration", but does that mean that the request should be
 honored?

        And, BTW, we had a stated policy of privacy on the mailing
 list, we are now retroactively overturning that policy, and only
 allowing a two month window for the author of an email to opt out
 (and perhaps not fully, if quotes are not to be redacted). I am
 conflicted about whether this is entirely kosher, given that the
 public reputation of a deceased developer (for example of someone who
 may find it hard to respond in a 6-8 week window) may be affected by
 retroactively publishing emails written under an umbrella of privacy.

        On the other hand, there were whole htreads of interesting
 conversation peppered with all participants wondering why the thread
 was on -private which should really see the light of day .... I would
 like to make it easier to declassify such threads, while erring on
 the side of not declassifying anything if there is even a hint that
 the author may not want it public (like some of the more ascerbic and
 virulent posts in heated threads that show people in a bad light
 [unless express permission is given])

        manoj
--
"Never give in.  Never give in.  Never. Never. Never." Winston
Churchill