Re: General Resolution: Declassification of debian-private list archives

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 12:36:26AM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005, Horms wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 07:09:25AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > > if there *really* are some DDs who volunteer to spend their time
> > > on old postings it is fine for me but because I think there are
> > > much more valuable tasks to do for the benefit of Debian I just
> > > will not vote intentionally.
> >
> > I am also concerned that it creates uneccessary administrative
> > overhead for very little gain.
>
> Presumably the people who are delegated to undertake this task will do
> so only because they actually want to do so and feel it's more
> important than whatever else they would be doing with their time.
>
> As far as administrative overhead goes, I don't really see there being
> much burden on anyone outside of the group of people who are
> interested in implementing it or interested in making sure that their
> posts to -private stay private. [The only thing I can see is a bit of
> time spent by the listmasters if placing the sanctified archives on
> lists.debian.org is the right way to go... but a couple of .gz'ed
> mailboxes is probably more than good enough if listmasters don't want
> to bother.]

Mmm, maybe best would to publish them on a web page somewhere, not in mbox
format, and probably with email addresses scrambled for good measure. I am
not sure i want stuff i posted in confidence made public, not sure though, as
i don't remember all i have posted there 3 years ago. I doubt any is of public
interest anyway, so the point should be moot.

> Anyway, from my perspective, all we're doing is putting in place a
> mechanism whereby useful parts of -private can be made publicly
> available. Whether developers actually end up doing the work to make
> it publicly available comes later.

Yep.

Friendly,

Sven Luther