Re: How to handle tie? -- clarification

Hi, I think there ware some confusion.

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 10:12:10PM +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 09:44:12PM +0200, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > I want to hear unbiased opinion on how debian-type voting should handle
> > case for tie like  http://vote.debian.or.jp/rank_leader2005.html .
>
> > Note in this case, quorum was met with 30 votes :-)

I said "debian-type".  This is not official Debian ! but one of the
affiliated organization "debian.or.jp" which uses devotee.

> Hm, quorum means getting a specific number of votes above the default
> option (A.6.2 in Debian constitution). Foo and Bar both seem to have
> failed to reach quorum (23+6 vs 25).

I do not understand this.  Again:

Case:
Choice #1: Foo
        ties with 2 (15-15)
        is preferred to Choice #3: Further Discussion (23-6)
Choice #2: Bar
        ties with 1 (15-15)
        is preferred to Choice #3: Further Discussion (25-4)
Choice #3: Further Discussion

For the debian.or.jp rule, it seems the winner need to beat NOTA and has
to have minimum of 12 votes against NOTA which is the majority of 1/3 of
eligible voters. (Hmmm... it seems to be different implimentation on
this aspect.)

Both Foo and Bar beat NOTA and have more than 12 votes.  Thus NOTA did
not win.  But Foo and Bar are ties (15-15).

How to resolve this kind of tie under devotee result is my question.

I am wondering how tha fact that Bar was more liked than Foo when
competing with NOTA.

> If you assume both choices made quorum, in Debian the current leader
> would chose, as s/he has casting vote (casting vote is being able to
> decide if normal voting results in a tie).

Interesting point.  I think written constitution for Japanese
organization does not seem to contain this kind of phrase.  This type of
arrangement certainly gurantee unique result.  Thanks.

Osamu