Re: How to handle tie?

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 09:44:12PM +0200, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> I want to hear unbiased opinion on how debian-type voting should handle
> case for tie like  http://vote.debian.or.jp/rank_leader2005.html .

Unbiased is of course extremely hard to get, or at least detect whether
someone is biased.

> Question:
>  How should the tie be handled under DEBIAN type voting system.
>

> Note in this case, quorum was met with 30 votes :-)

Hm, quorum means getting a specific number of votes above the default
option (A.6.2 in Debian constitution). Foo and Bar both seem to have
failed to reach quorum (23+6 vs 25). If I'm not mistaken, that would
mean NOTA/further discussion wins. In Debian, a quorum of 30 would mean
400 developers, and I note that 30 votes when having 400 developers
seems a very low turnout.

If you assume both choices made quorum, in Debian the current leader
would chose, as s/he has casting vote (casting vote is being able to
decide if normal voting results in a tie).

devotee is the software used in debian to tally votes, available with a
bit of googling via arch:
http://www.golden-gryphon.com/cgi-bin/archzoom.cgi/srivasta@debian.org--2003-primary/devotee?expand

(I couldn't find a regular tarball release unfortunately)

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl