Re: Vote for the Debian Project Leader Election 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:33:56 +0200, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> said:

> On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 09:12:02PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Sure. If people are gonna make signed votes public and not send
>> them in before changing their minds, that can be used to override
>> their decision. So don't do that.

> Sure :-)

> But will you in future ballot consider to add 1 line where voter can
> clearly indicate his vote priority ordering.  Something like
> following line to the ballot section:

	No. Because that entails additional bookkeeping, and perhaps a
 change in the  work flow for dvt-tally, and make manual eyeballing of
 the voting much harder, for the dubious return of supporting the use
 case of people presenting a signed ballot in a public location, and
 then _not_ sending that ballot in, and sending in a different
 ordering. And there is no guarantee that people would know how to
 manage that in any case -- people have trouble with:

           In the brackets next to your preferred choice, place a
           1. Place a 2 in the brackets next to your next
           choice. Continue till you reach your last choice. Do not
           enter a number smaller than 1 or larger than 7.  You may
           skip numbers.  You may rank options equally (as long as all
           choices X you make fall in the range 1<= X <= 7).
 and send in ballots with " [ X ] Option .... ". I have no stomach for
 dealing with ballots made even more complex.

	There are some things that should not be done. This use case
 is one of them. If you have published a ballot, send it to devotee
 anyway. If you change your mind, you can do that too -- and let
 devotee know that as well.

	manoj
--
"Why can't we ever attempt to solve a problem in this country without
having a 'War' on it?" -- Rich Thomson, talk.politics.misc