Re: Question about Anthony Towns rebutting Branden Robinson

On Thursday 17 March 2005 6:20 pm, MJ Ray wrote:
> I have been reminded that an SPI question was asked around line 205
> of http://people.debian.org/~mjr/debian_dpl_debate.html

I finally got around to reading it. Personally I think Jonathan is nuts, with
chocolate and ice cream! I love him though, he's really kept the race
interesting. Everybody else basically dodged the question, including Anthony.

Anthony: Ok... See other people. What if the problem repeats with new vendors?
What is Debian's answer to watching the integrity of its own finances?

I also like how Branden's response boils down to "I'm the most qualified to
fix this problem in the future because I've caused the most problems in the
past."*

* Cruel, tactless, unfair, factual. :-D

> Isn't that why we have the reference to section 9 in the DPL's
> description, which defines the debian/SPI relationship and SPI
> only "considers" DPL requests. So, if SPI is working well, the
> "evil DPL" danger to donations is limited too.

So, does it take a GR to move funds? I couldn't fully correct accounting
records even with specific "legally filed" language in my job description. I
was, however, allowed to correct some of them. Referencing specifics from the
policy is pointless because the specifics are applied inconsistently. What
you end up with is a coalitions of people playing favorites through arbitrary
application of senselessly complex policy (small teams?). Its all specifics
until its common sense and all common sense until its down to specifics.
Which is which depends on who you are. I'd prefer code, thanks.

> I'd hope that any organisation handling debian donations has a
> similar agreement. I just checked ffis.de, but it looks like that
> goes through SPI anyway. I didn't find links for things like the
> UK show pile of money. One for -project later.

Agreed. I think at this point we're into an actual discussion for -project.
I'd like some more answers from DPL candidates on Debian finance policy
though.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
ean@brainfood.com