Re: Question about Anthony Towns rebutting Branden Robinson

Ean Schuessler <ean@brainfood.com> wrote:
> I don't want to revisit the entire discussion here but if you read the by-laws
> you will see that they specifically empower the President to "see that all
> books, reports and certificates as required by law are properly kept or
> filed". The only way I attempted to "exceed my powers" was to bring order to
> the SPI accounting.

Quite so. The president is not the officer charged with handling monies,
but a board-level overseer. http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/spi-bylaws

> My point continues to be that we have problems at SPI and that the situation
> is basically the same as it was before I sorted the accounting.

My point was that Branden wasn't demoted. Maybe he should have
been, in your opinion, but you didn't try to demote him. He
quit and was reappointed. Maybe SPI (led by you) didn't get a
smooth handover, but was this because SPI was asleep or because
Branden obstructed? It's hard to be sure, which seems bad.

My reply to your point is that the situation is improving and
your sniping isn't the best way to help.

> It is
> possible that Branden has turned over a new leaf and won't slip back into the
> behavior that led up to us losing hundreds of donations but I don't think we
> should rely on that hope alone.

Yes, it would be good to have more replies on
http://debian.edv-bus.at/vote-2005/spi-management.html

> A DPL should be jealous of Debian's assets (intellectual, monetary or
> otherwise) and guard them carefully. If the people given charge of those
> assets cannot show that they are managing them wisely then the DPL should be
> prepared to take decisive actions to correct the problem.

Indeed, but DPL's powers are limited and DPL is overseen like
SPI's officers.  In one way, it would be good for debian if
Branden gets elected and you watched him really closely!

> This isn't about an ego trip on my part, me hating Branden (which I don't) or
> me extracting my "revenge" on SPI. It's about hundreds of people giving
> thousands of dollars to Debian and having it all lost. Its about making
> absolutely *CERTAIN*(tm) that situation can't happen again.

You're never going to know that, in my opinion. You need an
absolutely reliable bug-free automaton, it can happen again if
enough people make mistakes. Bug-free is unprovable though, so
your campaign looks hopeless unless you're going to actually
help fix the problems as well as the symptom you addressed.

--
MJR/slef
Subscribed to this list. No need to Cc, thanks.