Re: Why vote for DPL only?

On Τρίτη 15 Μάρτιος 2005 15:12, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Traditionally, the people doing work have been, uh, the people who
> do the work. If people are in a position where they should be doing
> work and are failing to do so, then it's already possible for the
> DPL to remove them and appoint a new person into their position.

If a DPL would do that, he would be accused of fascism and who knows
what else... So he would have to resolve to something like a GR to
assure that he has the backing of the rest of the DDs. And it would
be very bad publicity for Debian as a whole. What I'm suggesting is
just to have the same democratic procedures for key positions. What
you say of "people doing the work", doesn't apply here at all. It's
not like some unworthy job that noone volunteers for, it's not a case
of "someone's got to do it", i'm talking of key positions in Debian,
and i'm sure you'll find plenty of qualified people within Debian for
these posts. What's more, such a procedure would ensure that there
are backup people for these key positions, in case of eg temporary
inability to fullfill one's duties.

> I don't think it's useful for people to have to re-justify
> themselves every year. What problem are you trying to solve? If
> it's that you're worried about people being able to remain in tasks
> when they're unfit to do so, then elect a DPL who's willing to
> remove them. But remember that Debian isn't a popularity contest -
> people shouldn't be fired just because people don't like them.

You're putting words in my mouth. I don't imply 'reevaluating' people
every year, i'm saying that it _should_ be possible for any developer
to "run for office" so to speak, for any position and not always,
just when there is someone that wants to. Other than the DPL this is
not possible right now. You're seeing a half-empty glass, I'm seeing
a half-full. You're worried of people getting fired for no apparent
reason, when I've never implied anything like that.

If someone is indeed worthy, he will remain, if not, then he should be
replaced. In any case, I strongly believe that in such serious
matters all DDs, can and will vote as appropriately.

On the other hand, I'm considering that it would be nice to have the
ability for someone to suggest himself for <pick favourite position>.
But using a public procedure, where he has to convince people that he
can do it. Why is that so unheard of? Does this really look like
something totally against the spirit of Debian in your eyes? I'm in
favour for Democracy in all its forms, esp. between highly
sophisticated and educated people such as, I'd like to believe, all
Debian Developers.

Your popularity contest point is also wrong. That's exactly what we
(or rather the DPL candidates) are doing right now. And in any case,
Debian is a community of people, which implies communication and in
many cases personal relationships, even friendship. I have done many
good friends in the project and I think this applies to everyone. On
the other hand, I don't care if someone if the best developer ever,
if he cannot get along with anyone in the project, imho, he does not
belong here.

Konstantinos