Re: Project scud (for Andreas Schuldei and Branden Robinson)

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 12:13:46PM -0300, Lucas Wall wrote:
> The announcement mentions that both candidates are not clone candidates,
> they each reply to questions with their own point of view. What about
> other members of the project? How much do they influence in the
> decisions the DPL will make?

Every DPL and DPL candidate, past and present has his[1] own mental map of
the other developers in the project.  Some are held in high esteem, some
not, and for some there simply isn't enough information to judge.

Every DPL and DPL candidate, past and present, I suspect, has had a group
of unofficial advisors.  Sometimes this advice is solicited via IRC,
sometimes via email, sometimes over beer in a Cambridge pub.

I believe that a successful DPL will be able to maintain independence of
thought while being able to draw upon the experiences and talents of
others.

One can, however, visualize success differently:

If you fear a DPL candidate is going to putty in the hands of his advisors
-- official or not -- then you must ask yourself whether that's what you
want in a Project Leader.

If you fear a DPL candidate is incapable of being influenced or persuaded
by others, then again you must ask yourself whether that's what you want
from your leadership.

I'm keenly aware of human fallibility.  I have a healthy level of
self-esteem, else I wouldn't be running -- but I also know that I have made
errors in judgement before.  I daresay everyone has.  If you don't share
this premise, then it might behoove you to vote for a candidate who
presents himself as infallible (or who is unwilling to discuss any
specifics of his fallibility).

One reason we form friendships -- of which advisory groups are an example
-- is to protect ourselves and those for whom we're responsible -- from our
own human foibles.

There are many people in this project whom I know, trust, and respect who
aren't members of Project Scud.  Some weren't asked to join; others were
asked and declined.  There is no policy, tacit or otherwise, of not turning
outside for advice within the membership of Project Scud.  I'd be unwilling
to be part of that group if that were the case.  As DPL, I want to bring
the best, most effective solutions I can before the Project to solve our
problems, and that means turning to the most skilled and knowledgeable
people I can.

The only thing that makes Project Scud special is that we have explicitly
accepted a responsibility to be there for each other.  For all I know,
other DPL candidates (apart from Andreas) have advisory groups they simply
haven't made public.

> Is their point of view also expressed in the answers you (Andreas and
> Branden) post to this list? Should they start answering questions
> themselves?

[1] We have yet to see a woman nominate herself for DPL.  Perhaps next
year, that will change...

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Sometimes, getting your patch in is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    just a matter of waiting for