Re: Question for A. Towns - NM

Ean Schuessler wrote:
Read more carefully and you will see that I suggest existing technologies (mail filtering, IRC /ignore) as solutions. The problem may be that some Debianers have better filtering in place than others.

Personally, I don't see any reason why having filtering on the client is
better than having it on the server -- even if just to stop people
from getting confused at the "debian-devel" they read being different to
the "debian-devel" others see. For those who read our mailing lists via
the web archives, client side filtering isn't really possible, in any case.

The "Censorship Boo-Man", as you deftly downplayed it, is the central motivation for this project.

No, the central motivation for the project is to make a good, free
operating system. The "Deb" stands for "Debra", not "Debating".

If you are more interested in debating than producing good free software, I can certainly understand why you'd object to any restrictions on posts to the lists. If so, I'd suggest you'd be better served by a different project, personally -- perhaps IndyMedia or one of the other "new media" sites around.

For Debian's purposes, I don't think anything that makes it harder or less fun to write good, free software is sacrosanct. That said, though, diverse opinions and forthright, friendly discussion usually makes it both easier *and* more fun.

Cheers,
aj