On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 05:20:19PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> It doesn't have the i386 loader in the right place, it doesn't have
> 32bit libraries in /lib.  Actually, the i386 loader bit might not be
> right anymore w/ ia32-lib...  Even so though, there's only a few 32bit
> libraries installed.  The other thing is that /lib64 is a symlink and
> not it's own directory into which 64bit libraries are placed..  It's not
> immediately clear to me if this is really a violation of the LSB or not
> though.

This isn't official or anything, but I think that /lib and /lib64 being
symlinks are perfectly adequate.  As long as they're not symlinks to
the same place.

> > Why do the packages require changes to become compliant?  Why is the
>
> They would have to be modified to install packages into /lib64 for amd64
> instead of into /lib like every other arch.

This only matters for packages which provide libraries.  You're talking
a few dozens of packages which might need a fairly trivial patch.

--
Raul