* Raul Miller (moth@debian.org) wrote:
> This isn't official or anything, but I think that /lib and /lib64 being
> symlinks are perfectly adequate.  As long as they're not symlinks to
> the same place.

Yeah, sorry, not gonna be the way it works.  They need to be the same
place for packages to work w/o modification and to be LSB compliant.

> > They would have to be modified to install packages into /lib64 for amd64
> > instead of into /lib like every other arch.
>
> This only matters for packages which provide libraries.  You're talking
> a few dozens of packages which might need a fairly trivial patch.

Uh..  I could 921 binary packages currently *installed* on my system
that would need to be changed..  I've heard counts of at *least* a
couple hundred source packages from other people (in case my method of
counting was less than perfect for some reason-
dpkg -S lib/*.so* usr/lib/*.so*| cut -f1 -d: | sort -u | wc -l ).
The change isn't always all that trivial either.  Though, regardless, it
would be duplicated work since it would have to be done for multiarch
again.

	Stephen