Re: Discussions in Debian

Hello Manoj,

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 09:12:52PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	An easier way is to look at the votes when they come
>  out. Anyone who votes further discussion in the top 3 is not
>  interested in compromise or consensus, and has decided "My way or
>  the Highway".
Sorry, but I think this is not true.  Voting further
discussion in the top 3 may just indicate that the voter
has found out about the implicit 1:1 super-majority requirement
which we have in our current voting system.

In my opinion the best strategy [*] with our current voting system
is to rank "further discussion" second, directly after your
favourite option.  This slightly increases the chances of your
favourite option winning (the others could be dropped because
of the super-majority requirement).  And you can still indicate
your preferences among the remaining options.

Rewarding insincere voting is the price we pay for introducing
the quorum and super-majority mechanisms.

Jochen

[*] By "best strategy" I mean simply the strategy which has the
highest chances of making your favourite option win.
--
http://seehuhn.de/