Proposal G (was: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003)

* Andrew Suffield (asuffield@debian.org) [040505 14:10]:
> ---
> The Debian project resolves that it will not compromise on freedom,
> and will never knowingly issue another release (excluding point
> updates to stable releases) that contains anything in the 'main' or
> 'contrib' sections which is not free software according to the DFSG.
> ---

I propose the following amendment, replacing the entire text of the
resolution:

------------------
Reaffirmation of the social contract - priorities are our users and
the free software community

We, Debian, reaffirm that our priorities are our users and the free
software community. We keep to that, both are our priorities. We don't
intend to give one of them up for the other. We strongly believe that,
in the long run, their interests are the same.

For our users, we promise to do regular releases; as a guideline, a
major release of the distribution should happen about once a year.

For the free software community, we promise to use the Debian Free
Software Guidelines as guidelines for the software that is allowed to
go in the Distribution ("main" on the ftp-mirrors).

We know that, as with every guidelines, there are border cases were
these guidelines don't really match. We promise to use our common
sense in this case to get to an appropriate result. We will use our
guidelines in a way that serves our users and the free software
community, and we don't intend to blow our guidelines up to full legal
texts, because we aim to create the best operating system, consisting
of free works, and not a place for lawyers-to-be.

Furthermore, by this decision, we overrule the decision by the release
manager in http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/04/msg06588.html and
re-inforce the release policy that was valid prior to this date[1]. Of
course, the Release Manager team is authorized to adjust the release
policy.

[1] still available as today on
http://people.debian.org/~ajt/sarge_rc_policy.txt

Cheers,