Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 08:19:55PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	Ifail to see the ambiguity here. We say debian shall be 100%
>  free (used to say software), and we ain't gonna compromise that
>  freedom.

Except, that's not how it's written.  Which is where some ambiguity
comes from.  The statement could just as easily be about other freedoms
which are important to us.

Also, it's the Debian System we promise will be 100% free -- not debian
as a whole.  If someone wants to put SUS docs up on debian.org, and
they've got the appropriate permissions, that's currently OK.

But both your statement and proposal F could be interpreted to forbid
that.

> 	Again, do not jump to conclusions. Do not project. Do not
>  extend. Do not presume to think you know about the speakers
>  mindset beyond what the speaker actually said. No strawmen.

What strawmen?  These interpretations fit completely within what
the proposal actually says.

> 	Now, shall we compromise about keeping the interests of our
>  users at heart? I hope not, but this GR says nothing one way or the
>  other about it.

Sure.

And if you have two priorities, one of which you won't compromise on,
and the other where nothing has been said about compromising, in a
conflict where you have to choose between the two, the one that you
won't compromise on automatically wins that conflict.

--
Raul