Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 09:06:20PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Wed, 5 May 2004 at 13:06:39 +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > I propose the following amendment, replacing the entire text of the
> > resolution:
> >
> > ---
> > The Debian project resolves that it will not compromise on freedom,
> > and will never knowingly issue another release (excluding point
> > updates to stable releases) that contains anything in the 'main' or
> > 'contrib' sections which is not free software according to the DFSG.
> > ---
> >
> > This amendment essentially reaffirms that the current text of the
> > social contract is what is meant, and that Debian does not cut corners
> > in order to release sooner.
>
> I second Andrew's proposal.

I believe this proposal introduces ambiguity that 2004_003 was meant to
resolve, by using the term "software". 2004_003 specifically amended
clause 1 of the social contract to remove the term software because it
is (apparently) ambiguous. Thus the following would be better:

> > The Debian project resolves that it will not compromise on freedom,
> > and will never knowingly issue another release (excluding point
> > updates to stable releases) that contains anything in the 'main' or
> > 'contrib' sections which is not free according to the DFSG.

Otherwise, we should specifically define software as "copyrightable
works in digital form" or similar, in case some moron mistakenly thinks
it refers merely to "computer programs"!

Hamish