Re: DFSG#10

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 05:19:40PM +0200, Tore Anderson wrote:
> * Raul Miller
>
>  >   1. Debian Will Remain 100% Free Software
[...]
>  > It's clear to me that the release manager was drawing a distinction
>  > between "software" and "copyrighted works distributable in digital form".
>
>   This is what I don't follow.  I've been trying very hard to understand
>  how it was logically possible to interpret the old social contract like
>  that, with no luck.

Easy.

>   To be able to make the distinction, one would also have to forget about
>  the mathematical fact that "100%" refer to the whole thing,

That's the whole problem: not all of us are mathematicians. In fact,
most of us aren't. Most of us are programmers or pretty close at that,
which has to do a lot with math, but it isn't the same thing.

People misinterpret some things sometimes. Shit happens. But you can't
blaim them for agreeing with their reading of a text instead of yours,
even if you think that their reading isn't logically possible. After
all, the human brain is no computer; sometimes it makes a decision which
isn't logically correct.

If you want pure logic, talk to Spock.

--
         EARTH