Re: RfD: Proposed General Resolution on Sarge Release

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 10:20:24AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
>  . Firmware blobs that are distributed (e.g. in the Linux kernel or
>    XFree86) under a non-free license don't have to be removed from The
>    Release

Please stop using XFree86 as an example of a "firmware blob" problem.
It had them, but they turned out to be inconsequential to its operation
and were removed in 4.3.0.dfsg.1-1 to no ill effect that we've seen on
debian-x.

Code in the xfree86 source package under SGI's "Free Software License
B"[1] is a problem with much more significance.

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/211765

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     The more ridiculous a belief
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     system, the higher the probability