On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 10:46:32PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> But it *is* released.  Your claim was that all the fonts would have to
> disappear.  Actually, no, you haven't substantiated that.

Well, there is certainly a double-standard going on about fonts.
People have argued that since there exists open source tools for
editing fonts, font files should be considered their own source, even
if Font Foundries have their own preferred source formats and use
propietary tools to create font files via a compilation process.
(I've talked to Keith Packard today at XDevConf, who is more than
qualified to be an authority on the subject, and he's confirmed that
this is what happens.)  But we can edit firmware via hex editors too,
but firmware is considered evil so they are not considered own
"source".

If we are going to claim that firmware requires source, and that by
the terms of the ammended Social Contract, all works in Debian require
source, then either both can be in Debian, or neither can be Debian,
or we are using double standards depending when it is convenient.

						- Ted