On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 10:22:50AM +0100, Jochen Voss wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:31:15AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > Usually it refers to changes that clarify the meaning without changing
> > that meaning. I'd be interested in hearing your definition, since you
> > seconded the GR.
> Yes, this is exactly my point of view, too.  And I think
> this is what the GR did.  But somehow, strangely, the
> release manager thinks that the meaning did change.
>
> > I'm stunned that this GR passed. ...
> You should not be.  Debian is about freedom, so we
> should struggle to not distribute non-free items.

No, nor do I propose that we continue to do so indefinitely.

Do you believe that the GR has had no effect other than editorial?
Or simply that the change is a good thing anyway?

I was stunned because I didn't think this proposal was ready for a vote.
It needed more development and discussion. It was proposed on
debian-devel that the GR be discussed and dissected item by item, but
that never occurred - instead we went straight to a vote.

Perhaps for our next GR, we can contemplate whether it's appropriate
that less than 20% of the developers is enough to change one of our most
important documents. In fact, it could have been changed with as few as
35, being less than 4%. That is, a 3:1 majority of quorum(45.274).
That's a very uncomfortable feeling.

Hamish