Re: Swearing on debian lists [Was: Re: First Call for votes: General resolution for the handling of the non-free section]

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 07:35:43PM +1100, Pascal Hakim wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 07:24:49PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > Moreover, the fact that you don't like something--even if it's something
> > > bad--does not justify your use of language.
> >
> > i'll use any fucking language i like, whether you like it or not.
> >
> > and the more you try to tell me i do not have the right to use my language as i
> > see fit, the more i will fucking insist on my fucking right to say whatever the
> > fuck i want to say, using whatever fucking words i choose.
> >

> Actually you will not.

wrong.  i will say what i please when i please.

> You may have missed the Debian lists code of conduct, which is available at [1].
>
> I'll quote a bit of it to you now:
>
> 	* Do not use foul language; besides, some people receive the
> 	lists via packet radio, where swearing is illegal.

it's not that simple.

your definition of foul?  or mine?  or someone else's?

what kind of jurisdiction?  bible belt america?  fundamentalist iran?  modern
secular?

in short: don't be ridiculuous.  this is the internet, not a small-town
kinder-garten.  you can't expect your parochial standards to be universal.

> as well as:
>
> 	* Try not to  flame; it is not polite.

being stupid in public isn't polite, either, but it doesn't stop most people.

craig