Re: General Resolution: Handling of the non-free section: proposedBallot

On 2004-03-08 13:15:02 +0000 Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 12:59:55PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
I want a proliferation of third-party free packages for debian.
Really? Do you like low quality packages? Do you think the equivalent of
rpmfind.net (hurl!) would be an asset to Debian users?

There's no causal link between rpmfind.net and poor packaging. I hope the Debian community can respond to the challenge by supporting QA programmes, rather than its current ostrich approach of pretending there is no packages but Debian. Even things like the Bugs package header are a step ahead of rpm, aren't they?

You can probably tell that I don't, and that's a big part of why
I don't want non-free removed from ftp.debian.org yet.

Third party packages already exist, regardless of the GR.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at