Re: General Resolution: Handling of the non-free section: proposedBallot

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 05:39:53PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-03-05 15:53:13 +0000 Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>
> wrote:
>
> >Yeah, but wasn't one of the argument of dropping non-free the fact
> >that
> >that would put pressure on upstreams of non-free packages to change
> >their licence. [...]
>
> Not one of mine. I'm not sure what effect it has on that, but I
> suspect a net zero. Maybe someone else will discuss that with you.

I forget who said it first, but I believe it went:

"Having software in non-free encourages the authors to change their
licenses"

"The opposite is at least as likely"

[I don't think it has any real effect, either; I find both
possibilities to be unlikely to the point of absurdity]

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |