Re: Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 03:41:10PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 12:24:14AM +0000, Helen Faulkner wrote:
> > Note that this situation existing doesn't mean that there necessarily are
> > hostile/scary/condescending guys about, and it isn't the fault of
> > anyone in particular.  Blame it on our societies, if you like, or on our
> > biology, or whatever theory you subscribe to :)  But the situation existing does
> > mean that if people want to do something about it, saying "well I treat everyone
> > the same" may not mean very much, because you are treating everyone the same in
> > a situation that inherently, for reasons beyond your control, favours one group
> > of people (men) over another group (women).  In that situation, if you want
> > things to change, you may have to consider altering your tactics somewhat.  I
> > suggest that being aware that the problem exists is a good start :)
>
> +5, Insightful.

insightful, except for one important detail.

the situation does not discriminate against women, in particular, it
discriminates against a particular personality trait - meekness.

meekness is found in both men and women, and meek men are discouraged from
participating in debian (and other groups) just as much as women are. men
suffer from meekness and have to go through all the stress and trauma of
overcoming it, just as women do.

i think one of the major difference in responses to meekness is that men are
taught that being meek is 'wrong' for them, while women are taught that being
meek is 'proper' - so men are more likely to fight it directly when they see it
in themselves because it makes them feel ashamed and inadequate.

craig

ps: dunno about you, but i don't find meekness to be an appealing trait in
anyone and rather than encourage and foster it, i'd rather encourage people to
overcome it.

there is a time and a place for a group to be especially welcoming and
friendly, and there is also a time and place for recognising the nature of an
environment and understanding that if you want to partcipate you're going to
have to dive in.....