Re: Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 12:24:14AM +0000, Helen Faulkner wrote:
> Note that this situation existing doesn't mean that there necessarily are
> hostile/scary/condescending guys about, and it isn't the fault of
> anyone in particular.  Blame it on our societies, if you like, or on our
> biology, or whatever theory you subscribe to :)  But the situation existing does
> mean that if people want to do something about it, saying "well I treat everyone
> the same" may not mean very much, because you are treating everyone the same in
> a situation that inherently, for reasons beyond your control, favours one group
> of people (men) over another group (women).  In that situation, if you want
> things to change, you may have to consider altering your tactics somewhat.  I
> suggest that being aware that the problem exists is a good start :)

+5, Insightful.

To that end, would it make sense to have *additionally* a closed/private
mailing-list exclusively for women, so they could discuss Debian related
things and express themselves freely without the fear of potentionally
being put down by men?

Note that I don't want to put women in a ghetto here, I'd applaud any
effort to ease the life for women in Debian on the existing channels,
but such a list might drop the entry barrier for women a bit.

Just a thought,

Michael

--
Michael Banck