Re: Re: General Resolution: Handling of the non-free section: proposedBallot

Hi folks,

I am a user of Debian, using it to learn Linux, and achieving interesting results in my Company using it. I always appreciated Debian distribution for its comprehensiveness. I think that I understood the free-software philosophy underlying the Debian concept, and i feel that the categorisation between free, contrib and non-free is very clear.

Removing the non-free section will narrow the perspective of the Linux world offered by Debian, and somehow limit a degree of freedom currently available for Debian users.

Cutting away non-free software may apper as a revamp of old brand-protection policy used often by many software wendors (I don't know if you ever heard of a software house that produces a GUI-based operating systems, and some software based on it, and a package - SMS - useful to distribute software, but ONLY if crafted by the same company...).

In my opinion, the resulting system will be less free (in a wider sense).

... may the strength light your minds....

massimo