Re: Questions to candidates

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:24:11AM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 04:12, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > * Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> [2004-03-02 15:20]:
> > > 3. Do you think Debian should continue to support non-free?
> >
> > No.  Debian is about creating a operating system with free software,
> > and I don't think we should be in the business of distributing
> > non-free software.  I think we should focus on what we do best (create
> > and integrate free software), and this would also get us closer to
> > other players in the community, such as the FSF.
>
> What about Debian distributing documentation - do you see it as
> software, do you see all documentation (eg. philosophical) as software?

I've expressed my thoughts on this extensively on debian-legal over the
past 3 years or so.

Basically, yes.  Bits are bits.  Copyrightable sequences of bits must
satisfy the DFSG to be allowed in Debian main.

That's how I interpret clause 1 of the Social Contract.  That's what
"100% Free" means to me.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Any man who does not realize that
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    he is half an animal is only half a