Re: Proposal: Keep non-free

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 10:50:15AM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> I was trying to see what's needed and how to do it for non-free.org and
> have a discussion about this on this list a while ago, but the response
> was anything but enthusiastic. Seems the 'keep non-free' people don't
> want to talk about it, because they, uhm, don't want it to happen
> regardless of how easy to use the alternative would be, while the 'drop
> non-free' people don't want to contaminate themselves with non-free at
> all.
>
> If somebody is still interested, I'm happy to discuss things again
> though.

What's to discuss?

If you'd like to make an announcement which covers issues like:

[a] what are the requirements for putting a package in the upload queue,
[where's it located, how do you get your key authorized, ...]

[b] what's the url for the bug tracking system,

[c] what line(s) to put in apt/sources.list

[d] who to talk to about problems with the site,

[e] some kind of promise about what the future will be like

[f] what mailing list(s) have been created for the discussion

etc.

then people could start using it and decide whether it's useful or not,
and whether it's an adequate replacement for our contrib/non-free stuff.

However, this is probably not the right list for that announcement nor
the surrounding discussion.  [Though, if you do go that route, posting
a pointer to the announcement would probably be a good thing.]

--
Raul