Re: General Resolution: Handling of the non-free section

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Debian Project Secretary wrote:
> >                 The next release of Debian will not be accompanied by a non-free
> >                 section; there will be no more stable releases of the non-free
> >                 section. The Debian project will cease active support of the
> >                 non-free section. Clause 5 of the social contract is repealed.
>
> That's what I call bad timing.  Getting the non-free GR out in the middle of
> the GFDL fiasco crisis?   So far, it looks like we will have to need to
> shunt all GFDL docs to non-free (not to mention other standards, RFCs,
> etc)...  so how can one vote for non-free to be gone entirely?

GFDL fiasco crisis hasn't started yet since the issue is to be ignored for
the release of sarge.

One can (and should!) vote on non-free regardless of the GFDL problems.
In Debian, a package is either free or non-free (and if it is free but
depends on non-free it has to be moved to contrib).  It doesn't matter
if it is non-free due to a patent, dmca or gfdl.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Long noun chains don't automatically imply security.  -- Bruce Schneier