Re: "Debian" in the social contract

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 03:34:28PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> Perhaps, the right thing to do would be to use both -- alternating
> between the two or some such.

IMO/IME the best thing to do is choose a term that's pretty close to what
you want, then make it your own. As long as you're consistent about it, and
the term's useful, other people'll adopt it, and if it really makes sense,
the meaning'll sort itself out.

A google search for "Debian system" turns up 88k hits, that mostly use
it to refer to an installed Debian system (ie, on a particular machine)
and what you can do with it.

A google search for "Debian distribution" turns up 58k hits. In contrast
to "Debian system", which is mostly referred to as "a Debian system",
"Debian distribution" is mostly referred to as "the Debian distribution".

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004