Re: "Debian" in the social contract

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 10:09:54PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> I think the best synonym candidate is "the Debian distribution", but "the
> Debian system" is good too.

You're probably not the only person who thinks "the Debian distribution"
is better than "the Debian system".

I chose "system" over "distribution" for several reasons -- including the
parallel "operating system" and because "system" implies more cohesiveness
to me than "distribution".  Also, it's slightly shorter.

However, I think that "the Debian distribution" and "the Debian system"
really refer to the same concept.

Anyways -- could you elaborate a it on the reasons you thinke "the Debian
distribution" is better than "the Debian system"?

> >I believe Andrew Suffield's proposal to drop part of the social contract
> >is based on a misunderstanding -- basicaly, a misunderstanding of what
> >the term "Debian" means in the social contract when it's used by itself.

> I assume you are talking about the "drop non-free" proposal, not the
> "editorial amendments" GR?  In that case, I have no comment.

Yes.

> >If you think this makes sense, please let me know.

> I do, indeed, think this makes sense.

Thanks.

Only a thousand developers to go...

--