Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 09:48:52PM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > Sure, but the license has now been made relevant in the context of
> > distributing the "stupid little utility" instead of just being a
> > chunk of license like text.
>
> But there are a few ways a license can be relevant it can inform you
> about things worked historically, it can be a default to cover
> things that you're publishing using software covered under another
> license, or something else.

Sure, as can non-DFSG free source... but we generally hold that the
relevance of such a work isn't enough for it to be included in main.

> Requiring maintainers to include some irrelevant thing that's
> covered under the license just to distribute it for some other
> purpose is pointlessly bureaucratic and stupid.

Then may I suggest that a supporter of this argument propose a Social
Contract amendment that specifically excluding licences like text from
needing to satisfy the DFSG?

> > I hope we'll agree that such a useful (heh) act isn't covered by
> > the DFSG.
>
> Err, weren't we talking about works covered by the DFSG not acts?
> That's how I read your comment.

Ugh. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Yes, I'm refering to DFSG protected
or enabled actions upon works in main.

> I don't know that it's really meaningful to talk about acts covered
> by the DFSG. "Enabled" might work, though. But then the "useful"
> distinction doesn't matter, which I think was the point I was
> making.

The "useful" was there to indicate that someone could plausibly want
to take the action...

> It'd be a useful freedom to have. But it's more useful to have for
> licenses that are useful enough to cover works we want to
> distribute, though; which means discriminating against licenses that
> don't need the freedom as urgently is non-sensical.

How can this position be reconciled with the revised Social Contract?
While I can understand allowing licenses which are mentioned
specifically by a valid copyright statement of a work in Debian being
allowed,[1] I don't see how we can allow works that happen to look
like licenses (which are not mentioned specifically by a valid
copryight) to not be governed by the SC as proposed by Andrew.

If a significant number of Developers feel that the former doesn't
follow logically, then I would imagine that an amendment could be made
to specifically allow it. [Hopefully it's clear that we wouldn't have
a distribution if we were unable to distribute the GPL itself.]

> > in cases where we know that a work is not licensed in a manner
> > that is DFSG Free, failing to move the work out of main (or taking
> > steps to have the work relicensed appropriately) is not acting in
> > the best interest of our users.
>
> Well, no, in general that's not the case.

It's at least not acting in the best interest of a subset of users who
happen to fall afoul of the license terms with are incompatible with
the DFSG.

> > If we decide that there is a class of works to which the DFSG does
> > not apply, how do we tell the difference between them?  For
> > example, if we decide that documentation (or ...) does not have to
> > follow the DFSG, we need to be able to tell the difference between
> > documentation (or ...) and things that are not documentation (or
> > not ...).
>
> It's generally pretty obvious, and that's why we have people to make
> the distinction, not programs. I'm not sure why you think it's
> difficult to tell the difference between documentation and programs
> in 99% of the cases, or why you think the difficulty in the
> remaining 1% of cases represents any sort of insurmountable
> difficulty. Heck, running file(1) on the damn thing will give you
> that sort of precision.

Perhaps, but the few bits of non-DFSG Free documentation and data that
we have in main actually cross the border between source and
documentation.[2]

Either way, who should be making this distinction between source and
documentation?

Furthermore, if this really is the viewpoint of a significant number
of Debian Developers, perhaps Developers with this viewpoint should
propose it as an amendment to the Social Contract and define a
separate set of DFSG analogues to cover documentation?

> If you're asking what the properties of documentation are that make
> it worthwhile to treat them differently, that's simple: there's not
> enough DFSG-free documentation that's packaged to serve our needs
> for documenting the Debian system. Hopefully that won't last for
> very long.

That may be an appropriate argument to keep them packaged in non-free,
but it doesn't follow that they should be given a free ride in
main. (I personally don't have much of a problem, for the time being,
with GFDLed documentation being left in main while we work with the
FSF to effect a change in the GFDL... but I've argued strongly against
keeping non-free documentation whose upstream isn't at least
discussing licensing it appropriately.)

Don Armstrong

1: I personally don't understand why licenses like the GPL need to be
specifically protected from modification. While I'm aware of the FSF's
arguments on this issue, I would as soon see them modifiable.

2: The examples included in libc.info documentation, for example, are
quite clearly source, yet the work itself is (apparently) considered
documentation.
--
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on
society.

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu