Re: RFD: Use of @debian.org email addresses

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> Because it contains several clauses that are never enforced. That
> means "it breaks the DMUP" is clearly not grounds for disciplinary
> action (DSA doesn't *need* grounds for disciplinary action, so they
> don't appear to be concerned by this). There have been very few cases
> where anything along those lines have actually been done, and I can't
> actually think of any that were because of the DMUP (although I might
> be forgetting something).

Actually the DMUP was created in response to an expulsion from the
project. IIRC it was primarily motivated by concern that DSA was acting
arbitarily. Every disciplinary action DSA has ever done has had some basis
in one of the DMUP guidelines.

> These ones in particular are ignored on a fairly regular basis, off
> the top of my head:

Oh really? Some of the ones you listed are pretty serious. If you know of
people doing any of those things without permission you should probably
mention it to debian-admin@d.o.

You might be mistaking people having permission (implicit or specific) for
DSA ignoring the guidelines in the DMUP willy nilly.

> You must not send via email any item which it is illegal to send or
> possess.
> You must not send (via email) or post Copyright material or
> Intellectual Property unless you have permission to do so.

I recall only ever finding two violations of the above, and I assure you I
had their accounts locked within the hour, and they were ultimately
expelled from the project.

Jason