Re: "keep non-free" proposal

Raul Miller wrote:

New:  "1. Debian Shall Continue Distributing Software That's 100% Free"

I propose we change the title of section 1 of the social contract,
and the first sentence so they read:

  1. Debian Shall Continue Distributing Software That's 100% Free

      We promise to keep the free software of the Debian System
      Distributions completely free.

We will continue to support free software, and non-free software, just
as we always have.

Wouldn't it be more exact to say

=====================
Debian will distribute software which is useful for our users and can be legaly distributed free of charge. We promise to prefer free software to non-free.
=====================

? Just to reflect the real situation? Since free software can be
distributed for free, it will be distributed by Debian until someone
needs it. There is no need to say something special about free software
distribution. The only difference for non-free is that non-free will
probably be dropped if free replacement will appear.

Probably I miss something, but from the discussion with those who want
to continue non-free distribution, non-free is distributed to help user.
There is nothing bad about its distribution. Since the user is of the
highest priority for Debian, it will be logical to continue its
distribution until the preffered free replacement appears. There is no
harm in this.

Free Software will stay in Debian just because it is preffered and
useful. Not because of some stupid philosophical idea.
--
Best regards, Sergey Spiridonov