Re: RFD: Use of @debian.org email addresses

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 05:39:17PM +1100, Sam Johnston wrote:
> I propose the following resolution:

> That the Debian Machine Usage Policies[1] (DMUP) be amended as follows:

>   1. That the Mail/News section be modified to read:

> Using Debian machines for reading mail is OK, please choose a lightly
> loaded machine [ie not master]. We do not support the use of mail download
> methods such as POP or IMAP, use your ISP's mail server and forwarding.
> Incoming mail is to be used only for tasks related to Debian or to packages
> in the Debian archive (including those for which an ITP has been filed).
> The DSA's may find it necessary to compress, relocate or erase mail without
> warning.

> This provides a clear definition of what I consider acceptable use of
> @debian.org addresses. For the sake of brevity I have not allowed for
> exceptions like use in curriculum vitaes or on software not included in
> Debian as I consider them unnecessary. Free email addresses are readily
> available and most developers will have alternate addresses already.
> It provides a high level of protection for the Debian name and requires
> minimal administrative effort.

There seems to be a procedural question here: to my knowledge, the DMUP
was never ratified through a GR in the first place, so it's not entirely
clear what it would mean to amend it with a GR.  Since the DMUP is
effectively a policy statement of the DSA team, would they necessarily
be bound to enforce the amended version?  If they wouldn't, is there any
benefit to attaching this to the DMUP?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer