Re: thoughts on potential outcomes for non-free ballot

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 02:44:57PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> I very strongly object to that.
>
> http://people.debian.org/~asuffield/wrong/dfsg_guidelines.html
> explains what "guidelines" means here. It is the correct name.

It states:

   It is not inconceivable that there may be works which contravene the
   DFSG, but which are still free enough for inclusion in Debian. However,
   a GR would be required (preferably one which modifies the DFSG
   directly) in order for this to occur. No amount of arguing on the
   mailing lists will accomplish it.

This "should" seems rather unreasonable.

We already have numerous cases of software which does not satisfy all
the points of the DFSG but which people still believe are free enough
to be distributed and/or used by Debian.  GFDL licensed documentation
is one rather obvious example.

It's true that if your resolution passed we would need to pass further
resolutions to fix the problem you're creating, but at present the above
paragraph is simply false.

> > Likewise, Andrew has adopted some of his proposal from issues I've raised.
>
> I don't believe that is accurate.

For example, after I proposed removing the Linux specific wording in
the social contract, you introduced the same kind of change in yours.

Likewise, after I changed "FTP archive" to "internet archive" in my
proposal, you changed "FTP archive" to "archive".

--
Raul