Re: thoughts on potential outcomes for non-free ballot

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:59:29AM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
>     Andrew's "drop non-free" proposal:
>     http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2003/debian-vote-200312/msg00044.html
>
> I think this will require further ballots.  At the very least, he seems
> to intend a separate ballot for grammatical changes (though it's possible
> that that proposal will be included on this ballot -- see below for that
> potential outcome).

Quite obviously, it is not an attempt to resolve all further unrelated
issues. By this definition there are no GRs that do not require
further ballots.

> Also, we should probably update the DFSG to indicate that they are
> "Debian's Free Software Requirements", rather than merely being
> guidelines.  This would also require updating the social contract and
> the constitution.

I very strongly object to that.

http://people.debian.org/~asuffield/wrong/dfsg_guidelines.html
explains what "guidelines" means here. It is the correct name.

>     Andrew's grammatical fixes proposal [has not yet been introduced]:
>     http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2004/debian-vote-200401/msg01526.html
>
> It's not clear whether this proposal will be on this ballot or on some
> other ballot.  If it winds up on the same ballot, in some respects,
> this proposal is very similar to mine.  In fact, I adopted my proposed
> changes to sections 2, 3 and 4 from a draft of this proposal.

> Likewise,
> Andrew has adopted some of his proposal from issues I've raised.

I don't believe that is accurate.

> However, this proposal is also more ambiguous than mine in a number of
> places (in sections 1 and 5), and its still largely based on the state of
> software back in the mid-90s when the social contract was first drafted.

And I believe the opposite is true here.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |