Re: one of the many reasons why removing non-free is a dumb idea

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 12:58:49PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> Ocaml did. It was in non-free when i picked it up in 98, and has after
> long discussion with upstream become free enough for main. I don't think
> it was the only reason for the licence change, but my contact with
> upstream and the work i did on the package led to them considering my
> opinions more favourably or something such.

In the context of this discussion, do you think that the fact that Ocaml
was in non-free was of any significance, or was it rather your
personal contact/persuasion that made the license change possible? Or
did you only initiate the discussion because you were maintaing Ocaml in
non-free?

FWIW, I've convinced a couple of authors to license their semi-free
(which in my context usually means: only free for academic use) under a
true Free Software license, without having the package in non-free. One
could even argue that once a package is in non-free that might be good
enough for some upstreams, so they don't feel the urge to relicense in
order to get their stuff into main. Every case is different.

Michael